Maggie's Musings

4.03.2008

"Go On"

Even though I am a musician, I am always amazed at how music can speak such truths to so many people about so many things regardless of who they are or the situation they are - or feel that they are - in. Artist's meaning is not necessarily exactly or maybe even close to what you interpret but that doesn't matter. The music speaks to you and that's the point.

As I was driving home from a typical post gig drink, Jack Johnson's "Go On" was playing on my stereo and though I've heard it a hundred times before, something hit me tonight that literally brought tears to my eyes.

I recently met up with a lot of old friends and it was bitter sweet. I felt like I was saying a 'forever' good-bye to some but for one in particular it was especially difficult. Tonight, though he was the farthest thing from my mind, he exploded into my thoughts when this song began to play. It was if the 5 years apart hadn't existed when we were back together again and yet that time and all the unspoken things of the past were the herd of white elephants in the room with us as we watched his slide show of pictures of a recent trip with his fianc
é
e and he sheepishly covered the shot of them kissing. Don't misunderstand, I am very happy for him - their plans are perfect for him and his life now. At one time they were perfect for me as well but weren't for him and now they aren't for me. Such is the way of my life.

It doesn't matter that "Go On" was written for/about Johnson's children, it's still a pensive love song that spoke to me more tonight than in the past 100 plays on the stereo. This will be the second song that I will forever equate with 'him' - the first? "Hurts to Love You" by the Philosopher Kings. That is a story in itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home