Maggie's Musings

1.26.2008

It's for you...

Weirdest experiences happen in the most normal of places sometimes.

Last weekend a friend and I were in Safeway at the checkout when the phone rang, not mine but the one behind the till. The cashier got kinda quiet, said "umm...." into the receiver and then "okay..." which wasn't odd in the least; but then she turned and looked at me with a slightly disturbed look on her face, held the phone out to me and said, "It's for you."

what?

My friend and looked at each other and all I could think was "what did I do? I must have done something wrong."

The cashier told me to come around to her side of the till and take the phone, which I did with some hesitation. Was this a prank? What the hell was going on?

"Hello?"

"Hi Maggie," the phone said.

"Hello?" I replied totally freaked out.

"Look to your left," the voice commanded but in a cheerful way.

I obeyed the phone but didn't know what I was looking for, I mean, who was this and why were they calling me on a Safeway cashier phone in a town that only a handful of people (mostly my family) knew I was in?

"It's [well, let's call her...] Elizabeth. How are you?"

I'm scanning the sea of people to my left and see an arm waving frantically but still I'm not sure who this is even with the name. I know about five people with that same name but the voice totally escapes me. I'm still feeling totally freaked out by the situation and who wouldn't be? So I try to figure it out in a polite but more effective manner.

"Elizabeth?"

"Ya! Elizabeth Huang!" she says totally excited which was really kinda strange.

I still can't see you very clearly," I say, "Wave again." She does. "Oh! I see you now, I'll come over and say hi once I'm done here."

I eventually figure out why I know this person and it's all good. My friend was as freaked out as I was at the initial "It's for you" because that doesn't happen! We went over and exchanged the normal information that happens when you haven't seen someone in almost a decade. Still, it totally was a weird of encounters in a normal location.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home