Maggie's Musings

12.09.2007

Define "Classic"

Shopping with Likalia today, I mused about how the word classic now seems to mean low tech.

The trigger was the board game Taboo that just a couple of weeks ago we had played with friends who had all commented on how great it was that it didn't need major electronics, just cards and if you really want to make annoying buzzing sounds, some batteries. Now, Taboo has become new and improved and includes a DVD and two buzzer like remote control things. I didn't spend much time looking at it once I read that there was a DVD involved. What ever happened to 'classic' Taboo?

I was reading in my Shape magazine's holiday gift guide and I found this caption "in the age of Blackberries, the "blah blah blah notes and diary organizer" is a classic choice." There's that word again! CLASSIC!

Does that mean that Classical music is non-electronic? I suppose that's accurate. What about a classic look for an outfit? Or does classic simply mean basic or timeless? Meh... who cares right? I just want a board game that doesn't need a DVD player.

1 Comments:

  • UNO! What a great game. I always for get about that one. It reminds me of summer at the cabin in hail storms. Or 'war' with a deck of cards. Good times.

    By Blogger Maggie, at 16/12/07 10:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home