Maggie's Musings

1.07.2008

Staff Room Happenings

Back to work today. We had our usual joyous Monday morning meeting with the news of things to come in the week and general announcements about big picture things. Then there was the list of people who would be away for good portions of the month or the entire month - 2 operations, 1 illness, and 1 with a deceased parent. I suppose there is no 'good' way to announce these things to the staff but it was yet another slap in the face to make you realize that yes indeed, you are back and you are working here. I know a lot of other teachers and our staff has had an extraordinary amount of bad karma this year. Are we all bad people or does it just seem that the forces of nature are against us more than others? Focusing on negatives isn't positive (how's that for a statement!) but since the 'good news' items are so rare at work this year it, it's easier to recall the one of the many not so good ones.

But it's not all disheartening, there were some good things that happened or were discussed in that room today.

The hockey pool is still going and it's trading time! Last year I won $150-200 (can't remember exactly). This year I started at the bottom of the pack and am making my way up to the top - but I doubt that's going to happen. There is apparently a prize for the loser this year so maybe I should go that way. I know nothing about hockey so I'm not sure if I'll make some trades or just keep the same draft as I started with in the beginning. That was my strategy last year; mind you, I was already winning by a considerable lead at this point last year... mmm. Big decision - I know.

I actually got to have lunch in the staff room today and it was good! Usually it's the old boys club which we girls usually infiltrate but today I got to sit with 3 other women and talk about - what else but men! Two married women and two single women discussing the fine and finer points about men in general and men we know. A good and/or therapeutic time was had by all. :D

A colleague suggested that we have a staff "Biggest Loser" contest. LOL! I love it! There are about 8 of us in the game and we each pay $5.00. We weigh in each Friday and the one who looses the most weight by the end of 6 weeks gets the cash. It should be interesting. I think we're doing a weigh in tomorrow to set our starting point *groan*. At least now I'm accountable to someone other than myself in this get fit plan... plus - there's a cash prize! Yee haa! I'll keep you posted on my at work gambling habits.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home