Maggie's Musings

12.30.2007

Resolutions

"I resolve to stop eating sweets, loose 50 pounds, exercise every day, quit smoking, stop drinking, get promoted/a raise at work..."

We've all heard these type of resolutions and they bore me. Completely unrealistic but good intentioned, it is obvious that these drastic changes are not going to stick for more than the first week - at the very most. So why make them? or should the question be why do resolutions 'need' to be drastic? It seems that the more lofty your resolve the better it is.

The past couple of years I've had the same general "loose weight = find a date" resolution with an obvious lack of success because my focus was off. I didn't actually change anything I was doing but was hoping for some magic spell to make the weight go *POOF*!

So I did a typical thing - I joined a gym. WAIT! I know, I know.. you're thinking: "What's so profound about that!?" The difference is that I've built it into my routine, and am not looking at it as just a weight loss goal but a mental health goal. Having hit my personal rock bottom recently (like 3 days ago recent). I think that burning off stress is a good idea and if I do (please dear Lord let it happen) loose weight in the process - YAY! If not, maybe I'll be in a better mental state by the summer.

I can't control the job thing until the spring so there isn't really any point in stressing about it - even though I will. I'm not totally blind to my constant "ball of stress" vibe. Once the volcano erupts and the lava starts to solidify (this will not be your typical dust settling shake up guaranteed!), I know I have to make some tough decisions. But for now - the little think of zoning out at the gym is what I will do. My overriding resolution is take care of me. For those of you who do know me, that is actually a huge resolution.

p.s. I don't smoke and the drinking (aka glass of beer every Tuesday night) will still continue, and 50 pounds is NOT the goal at all... 30 would be nice but 20 is more realistic... hell, I'll settle for TEN!

p.p.s. Have a Healthy New Year - whatever 'healthy' means to you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home