Maggie's Musings

3.15.2007

In response to Likalia's March 11 Post

Read first - March 11 by Likalia

I think that this is just a normal part of being in our *gasp* late 20's. We're in the middle of no where with no real future except a job or a place to live or if we're lucky a bit of both.

As stated several times before, age is a state of mind. Does that go for maturity as well or do we equate age with maturity and do we do that without sufficient evidence to prove that with age comes maturity. I don't think age and maturity go hand in hand; in fact, I think that age is just a physical state that we are forced to live for as long as we get to live.

I told Nibski the other night that his dream of living in what is basically a care-a-minium is making him an old man before he becomes one, but then, in many ways, he is an old man - but then, in many ways he is not. What is age?

At a performance tonight, I looking into the audience at one point and saw relatives, former teachers, and high school classmates all of whom were there to see their children perform. That was weird. They all had children that were relatively the same age - how weird was that!? In a few years, I could possibility be teaching these students. Good grief!

I though about the classmates. They have a house, 2 kids, jobs and seem fairly 'old' in the things they've accomplished. By 'old' I mean 'mature' or do I? The classmates were acting very immature and really nothing had changed in the years it had been since I'd last seen them.

Age vs. Maturity... I think that is the real debate.

1 Comments:

  • I tend to agree, the real debate is Age vs. Maturity. I mean, by society's "standards", by our late 20's, we've supposed to have figured out what our career should be, gotten married, and blah blah blah. Somewhere along the line we were supposed to mature and become responsible adults.

    As we all know, well most of us anyway, that doesn't happen. There are people who are nearly 50 years old and still act like druken frat boys. Then you have people who are 20 years old, focused, collected and have the maturarity and wisdom of someone 4 times their age.

    So, my thoughts on the whole thing is Age doesn't equal Maturity. Age is just how many miles we've put on the body. Maturity is something that has to be looked at on an individual basis and has nothing to do with age.

    By Blogger spankosaur, at 15/3/07 11:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home