Maggie's Musings

10.29.2006

If a tree falls...

You've heard that old saying before - if a tree falls in a forest does anyone hear? Well, according to a book I'm reading now called "Music, the Brain and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination" by Robert Jourdain, everything in the forest will 'hear' it to a degree, but it differs from species to species. Some just feel vibrations, others hear but not with the nuances that we would. That's not the point of this post though.

I was foolishly running in the forest today, and I say foolishly because it was extremely windy and with my luck, something would fall on me, or my car. As I was running, I heard a lot of cracking and snapping above me and a really low groan. The type of groan that happens when trees and really swaying and are about to fall. But nothing did - at that point.

I was about 30 seconds away from when I heard the sounds when I heard CRACK! creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek BOOOOOM! I didn't go back to investigate but I can only assume that it was large tree. Thankfully, I didn't have to feel the tree fall.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home