Maggie's Musings

2.05.2006

Anal Gym People

I decided to go to the gym at the rec centre for the first time in years, literally.There was hardly anyone in the place and they've added a few more cardio machines to the point that some seem to be sitting touching eachother but whatever.

There is a sign-up board that people use to indicate they're in line for the use of one of the cardio machines. Most gyms have this and everyone uses them when the gym in really busy out of courtesy and selfishness (I want that machine!). I didn't sign up because I was the only one on the machines and there were maybe - maybe 10 people in the whole gym and there was a dublicate machine right beside me so I figured - no need to sign up. I also figured no need to observe the 20 minute rule b/c of the same reason. I did 2 sets of 15.

Apparently - I was wrong to NOT sign up.
I was Told.

"There is a sign up on the wall," were the first words out of her pursed little mouth. Not "Hi there" or "Excuse me."

"Pardon?"

"There is a sign up board for the machines. You're suppose to sign up to indicate how long you will be using them."

"Yes, I know." Pause. Think before speaking. "I thought that they only needed to be used when the gym was really busy?"

"No. You need to use them all the time. You never know when people will arrive and they want to know how long you'll be on the machines." She says as she climbs onto the machine beside me - the one that doesn't squeak.

I grind my teeth and think nasty mean things.

"Okay," I say in a tone that anyone who knows me knows that when that tone is used, you say nothing more unless you want to risk the wrath that will follow. This woman didn't know.

"People could come in at any point. Just so you know for the future."

So here's the choice - say what I was thinking and start an all out fight with this lady or huff in my head and complain to anyone who will listen later. I chose the latter but the whole time was on the machine I was conscious of her stride pace and I made sure i wasn't in snyc with her. I was not happy. I was petty. Sure. But she was not nice!

When I left I spoke to the woman at the desk downstairs and asked her about the rule. She said that she didn't know it existed either but that the clients told her about it. I mentioned that maybe signs should be posted about it b/c if I hadn't been use to the gym or as thick skinned as I am - this woman's tone and attitude would have prevented me from ever returning.

The only good thing about the incident - I forgot that my legs were getting sore and just powered through my last 12 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home